Pages

Sunday, March 2, 2014

What Does My Soul Need?

What does my soul need today? 
Wow! isn’t that an awesome question to begin a day with?

I can only do that because my Special Needs Child is launched and in a relatively stable place today. Thank God! I was not sure I would ever be able to say that earlier. And I do Thank God every day for the blessing that she is.

 When we are in the midst of navigating emotional needs, emotional meltdowns, IEPs (Individualized Education Plan), physical needs such as illness, surgery, or eating disorders; out of home placement possibilities, outrageous belligerent behavior, sleeplessness on our part from worry and anxiety or our child’s refusal to sleep alone, school refusal, problems with addiction, problems with full blown anxiety panic attacks, and on and on;  and in addition, balancing the needs of everyone else in the family, do we make the time to think about ourselves, to think about what our soul needs today? Not usually.

If I’ve learned anything myself after all these 26 years of parenting my beloved daughter, and from the past 3 or 4 years of meeting weekly with the group of Moms who have Children with Special Needs, it is that our SELF CARE is essential to being able to be there for those who need and depend on us. I know all the excuses by heart. I am too busy, I have no disposable income, I can’t find the time, I can’t even remember who I am, let alone get in touch with my soul. And still, I know that if we don’t do this we are at risk for a life filled with anger, resentment, hurt, disappointment, sadness, and depression.

So I ask you to ask yourself, “What does my soul need?” Write about it, draw about it, collage about it, talk about it with a trusted friend, dream about it, actively imagine it, dance about it, mull it over while you garden, read inspirational poetry, anything to get that concept/idea/gold nugget blossoming in you. Even for just today.

I learned two things about this from a wise mentor/spiritual guide a few years ago. He said that we need to create a time and a space where we will focus on this every week.  Mine was Saturday mornings for 2 hours at my home desk/altar. I created a beautiful small space around my desk with cards from people I love, pictures of people and spiritual goddesses, places in nature, cut out words of wisdom that I collaged, and candles. It was my soul sanctuary. I’m hoping you will create one for you my dear, special mothers and sisters.

I have many ideas and suggestions, but only you can find what it is your soul needs. 


I’d love to hear any thoughts you have about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment