Pages

Saturday, January 18, 2014

Going to the Dentist


Going to the dentist

When you have a child with Special Needs going to the dentist can be a nightmare. Again, all their sensitivities make shots of novocain almost impossible to administer because most of these kids are deathly afraid of needles. And then where do you go from there with no numbing? Often a refusal to open their mouth.

Getting braces was excruciating. When they put the gel mold in his mouth for an impression, he gagged and threw up and they had to start over. I tried everything to help him.....breathing with him, telling him jokes to distract him, squeezing his hand, telling him to look at me and we could do this. Finally the third time he managed it. I was drenched in sweat. It was so tempting to yell at him and tell him to “Just do it!!!”....something my mother did to me. I felt like everyone in the packed office was staring at me like I was an ineffectual Mom.

Then came the braces and the hygiene required to maintain them. His Dad brought him for a check up one day and the dentist came into the waiting room and called his Dad out for not enforcing good teeth brushing. The orthodontist threatened to take the braces off next time if his teeth were not better maintained. Purely shaming....for father and child. His Dad never wanted to take him to the dentist again.

When it came time for him to have his wisdom teeth out, I tried to prep him and be there for him. We had to make two attempts. the first ended in him breaking down and saying he just couldn’t do it. The second time I gave him some valium prescribed by the dentist. 

It is such a helpless feeling for a mother to see her child panic stricken and still needing to have the medical procedure done. The wisdom teeth extraction did happened, but a month later the incision reopened for the 4th time and this time a kitchen towel soaked with blood was not stopping the hemorrhaging. I was so done with that dental clinic! I called the best oral surgeon in town in a state of ultimate panic. They got him in in 20 minutes. But then came the directive by this dentist to open my son’s mouth. He refused. He was in a state of trauma and panic. The dentist was a saint, but time was ticking and he had other patients waiting. I used every means of understanding and compassion that I could to get him to open his mouth. I used relaxation techniques. Nope. Wasn’t going to happen. So I had to resort to extreme measures. I told him if he didn’t open his mouth, I would have to take him directly to the hospital because he would die if we did not fix this immediately. That worked, thank God! He got stitched up and healed very nicely. 

I did write a letter of complaint to the first clinic and cc’d it to the American Dental Association. They sent me a check for the cost of the oral surgeon. That helped compensate me financially, but the toll it took on my son emotionally was immeasurable, because as a result, it has been an even bigger ordeal to get him to the dentist now. One time we had to resort to sedation dentistry to fill a few cavities at once. That is extraordinarily expensive and wiped him out for the whole day. Do you know  how many days of work I have missed to deal with dental issues for this child? It doesn’t really matter. Finally, I have found an empathic dentist who specializes in work with Special Needs kids and my son handles the dentist beautifully now. Email if you want his name and number.

3 comments:

  1. Tsk. Choosing the proper dental service is a delicate process indeed. The trips we often take for granted, and sort of get as a 'given' must always be for an option that is optimal, to justify the effort. Glad that you got the right one for your kids. The stuff you laid out here (suitability to a condition, balance, etc.) is a pertinent matter to anyone, afflicted or otherwise.

    Frank @ Alpenglow Dental

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with Frank, Judy. “When you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.“ - Taking time to look for the most reputable clinics that will cater to your child's needs is advisable. Dentists should have the professionalism to handle their every client with empathy. Congrats on finding the one for your kid!

    Thanh Arnett

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can only imagine the worries you had for your son. I believe that for a mother, nothing is more important than her child’s health. And despite the commotion with his dental health, I admire you for going through it. Take care!


    Freddie Gray @ Ballantyne Center For Dentistry

    ReplyDelete